PROPOSAL: Use Cmake as the build system for Samba

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Feb 17 20:23:34 MST 2010

Hi Jeremy,

 > But we can add a parallel make system into the tree without headaches.

yes, we can do that with any build system, but to make this worthwhile
we would need to eventually abandon and remove the autoconf based
system.

So the right decision now does matter.

 > IMHO If a project as large and complex as KDE can use CMake, then the
 > likelyhood of us running into a bug before they do is small.

perhaps, except that KDE generally doesn't try to run on some of the
weird systems we try to run on.

 > If Andreas, Simo and Guenther want to do the work, I don't want to
 > put them off from trying to do this :-).

I didn't get the impression this was a "its cmake or we won't do it"
proposal.

This is a pretty major change that's being proposed, and we will live
with it for a long time. Looking at all the available options and
working out which fits with Samba development best seems reasonable.

Cheers, Tridge