PROPOSAL: Use Cmake as the build system for Samba

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Feb 17 17:35:29 MST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:03:36AM +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:

> This is where a python based build system has a huge advantage. If we
> find a bug in waf/SCons and it needs a fix then we can just include
> the new version with Samba, as build/waf or build/SCons. It's a tiny
> script, small enough to put in our source tree without us thinking
> twice about it (it's just one file). We can't just throw cmake into
> our source tree without major headaches.

But we can add a parallel make system into the tree without headaches.
IMHO If a project as large and complex as KDE can use CMake, then the
likelyhood of us running into a bug before they do is small.

> So if cmake and a python alternative are close in other ways, then for
> me the python alternative would win just based on this advantage.

 From the http://lwn.net/Articles/188693/ article :

"In typical KDE fashion the current move to CMake was not a "decision by
committee". Instead, the old rule "who codes, decides" made itself felt
once again."

If Andreas, Simo and Guenther want to do the work, I don't want to
put them off from trying to do this :-).

Jeremy.