PROPOSAL: Use Cmake as the build system for Samba

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Feb 17 20:57:07 MST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 02:23:34PM +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:

> yes, we can do that with any build system, but to make this worthwhile
> we would need to eventually abandon and remove the autoconf based
> system.

Yes, that's definately where I'd like to be eventually (as
we ended up moving to git over SVN).

> So the right decision now does matter.

What data do you need to make this decision ? What evaluation
should we use to decide ?

>  > IMHO If a project as large and complex as KDE can use CMake, then the
>  > likelyhood of us running into a bug before they do is small.
>
> perhaps, except that KDE generally doesn't try to run on some of the
> weird systems we try to run on.

I thought KDE was pretty widely ported (they even run on some embedded
systems) but I don't have any good data on this.

>  > If Andreas, Simo and Guenther want to do the work, I don't want to
>  > put them off from trying to do this :-).
>
> I didn't get the impression this was a "its cmake or we won't do it"
> proposal.

Yes, but they do appear to have done research into this which
does suggest some level of enthusiasm for CMake. Maybe if we
ask them to use something else they'll still look at it. Simo,
Andreas ?

> This is a pretty major change that's being proposed, and we will live
> with it for a long time. Looking at all the available options and
> working out which fits with Samba development best seems reasonable.

Yes. But I don't want to ask someone to do something if their
heart isn't in it. That way lies eventual frustration and
possible build change project failure (IMHO).

Jeremy.