Possible to get Samba3 to use Samba4 server idmap info

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Mon Aug 30 16:05:26 MDT 2010

Trever,

Trever L. Adams wrote:
>  On 08/30/2010 12:37 PM, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> > You want to mount volumes from your samba4 server via nfs or smbfs on
> > the linux client ?
> >
> > I'm not sure that in any case this can work because s4 allocate uid
> > dynamically and I think (although not 100% sure) that it won't care
> > about the uid of the SFU when checking the access rights.
> >
> > Matthieu.
>
> Matthieu,
>
> I would prefer it was all Samba (cifs/smbfs).
>
> I was pretty sure that S4 didn't update SFU/RFC2307 on dynamic
> allocation. I was just wondering if there was any S3 idmap backend that
> could get the data out of the S4 ldap or some other method. Right now I
> think the linux test setup I have was doing idmap_hash. This would be
> great if I was only using linux.
>
> I am guessing you are saying that there currently is no ldap or other
> backend that can be setup to work with the S4 way of doing things.

While currently there is indeed no such idmap backend in S3,
it could be certainly implemented.

But I would like to know, why it is important for you to have
the same unix ids on the s4 server and on the s3 clients.
Generally, the connection between the client (s3) and the s4
server is simply windows protocols. The unix ids are additional
info put into play by the respective samba instances. Unless
you want to do something like copy or share files wit other means
than samba/CIFS, then it is not important to have the unix ids
identical on the various servers.

So idmap_hash or idmap_rid or even idmap_tdb should be fine.

Or maybe I am not getting your point.

Cheers - Michael