Possible to get Samba3 to use Samba4 server idmap info

Trever L. Adams trever.adams at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 13:57:23 MDT 2010

 On 08/30/2010 12:37 PM, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> You want to mount volumes from your samba4 server via nfs or smbfs on
> the linux client ?
>
> I'm not sure that in any case this can work because s4 allocate uid
> dynamically and I think (although not 100% sure) that it won't care
> about the uid of the SFU when checking the access rights.
>
> Matthieu.

Matthieu,

I would prefer it was all Samba (cifs/smbfs).

I was pretty sure that S4 didn't update SFU/RFC2307 on dynamic
allocation. I was just wondering if there was any S3 idmap backend that
could get the data out of the S4 ldap or some other method. Right now I
think the linux test setup I have was doing idmap_hash. This would be
great if I was only using linux.

I am guessing you are saying that there currently is no ldap or other
backend that can be setup to work with the S4 way of doing things.

Thank you,
Trever

P.S. I am going to look at the GPO problem you were helping me with
today or tomorrow. The last week, I have been under the weather.

--
"...whether you're a Unix geek cracking open your first IBM Principles
of Operation manual or a mainframer trying to figure out why they call