Rebranding moving code around.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 21 18:10:48 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 13:31 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In line with the rebranding strategy we spoke about
> in the last blog, here is a git tree that moves the
> S3 fileserver code from source3/ to fileserver/ and
> the winbindd code to authserver/.
>
> http://git.samba.org/?p=jra/samba/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/shuffle
>
> You still build out of source3/ and source4, as normal,
> but this is a move towards creating the new samba-fileserver,
> samba-authserver and samba-ad packages we'll need to do
> an official Samba4.0 release.
>
> Metze, Simo and others, can you take a look at these
> changes and let me know if this is pushable, or if
> not what else needs to be done.
>
> It's a first step, mostly moving code aroudn (and most
> of the work done by Volker), but I think it gets us closer
> to where we need to be on the plan.

Can we put this off until we get an agreement on if Samba3 is moving to
a new build system, and then do this in conjunction with a top level
build?

I would also rather not increase the amount of code in the top level
directories that are not actually shared - we already have a number of
subsystems where the merge wasn't completed, and putting it in the top
level doesn't suddenly make it happen.

In particular as winbindd in Samba3 relies on other Samba3 libraries
that are not in the top level - putting it there might somehow help with
branding, but it also makes it much harder to follow what depends on
what.

I also don't like the amount of 'new file' and 'deleted file' in this
branch.  It looks like we are loosing a lot of history here.

I would really love to see a great effort put behind productive merging
of code, but just don't see how simple renames of unshared code helps
this effort.

Sorry,

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.