Rebranding moving code around.

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Wed Apr 21 23:03:30 MDT 2010

On Thursday 22 April 2010 02:10:48 Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > It's a first step, mostly moving code aroudn (and most
> > of the work done by Volker), but I think it gets us closer
> > to where we need to be on the plan.
>
> Can we put this off until we get an agreement on if Samba3 is moving to
> a new build system, and then do this in conjunction with a top level
> build?

I'm not sure that's reasonable, as this suddenly turns me into the single
point of failure, and I am quite busy with my dayjob at the moment.

> In particular as winbindd in Samba3 relies on other Samba3 libraries
> that are not in the top level - putting it there might somehow help with
> branding, but it also makes it much harder to follow what depends on
> what.

To be completely honest, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I'm
knee-deep into the S3 interdependencies right now, and I don't think they
will suddenly turn into more of a mess just because winbindd/winbindd_foo.c
turns into ../authserver/winbindd_foo.c

Unless you're talking about the containment of the S3 dependencies in
source3/, there's really not much of a difference. It's probably not much
work to fix up the waf build for this either.

There's also code in the top level dirs that isn't shared already, so we do
have a prior examples. I really don't see an issue with this.

> I also don't like the amount of 'new file' and 'deleted file' in this
> branch.  It looks like we are loosing a lot of history here.

That actually depends. If you're talking about getting a list of commits to
the new directories like "git log authserver", yes, it'll only show the newly
created files. If you're talking about figuring out who the heck wrote this
line of code ten years ago, like "git blame authserver/winbindd.c", that
still works. git does have a pretty decent rename detection, unless you move
too many files at once (like we did on the s3 s4 merge).

HTH,
Kai

--
Kai Blin