Long domain name query.

Karthikeyan Sarkaraichetty nskarthi505 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 02:31:27 MDT 2009

Dear Volker,

Problem : Linux is not able to join Domain with 2K8 server if the domain
name is large.

Below are the details.

Samba version : 3.0.34

"Win2K8 server :

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.COM"

In smb.conf if i give "worgroup = HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH"[15 characters] ./net rpc
join is working fine.

[root at samba123 bin]# ./net rpc join -U administrator%wipro at 123 Joined domain
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

[root at samba123 bin]#

If I give more than 15 characters in smb.conf(parameter = workgroup) I'm
getting the below error.

[root at samba123 bin]# ./net rpc join -U administrator%wipro at 123

[2009/09/15 19:01:25, 0]

rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:get_schannel_session_key_common(2445)

  get_schannel_session_key: could not fetch trust account password for
domain 'HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH'

[2009/09/15 19:01:25, 0] utils/net_rpc_join.c:net_rpc_join_ok(81)

  net_rpc_join_ok: failed to get schannel session key from server ASD for
domain HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Error was NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO Unable
to join domain HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

When we configured the 2K8 server, maximum characters allowed for Netbios
name of Domain controller is 15 char.

Is that the reason Domain join is happening with only 15 characters?

Below are my smb.conf file which im using.

I have configured smb.conf file as Domain join to 2008 server.

[global]

private dir = /usr/local/samba3.0.34/tdbstore unix charset = LOCALE
workgroup = HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH  ------------ > if it exceed 15 char, Join
domain is failed netbios name = JACKLE client signing = auto server signing
= auto server string = Samba 3.0.34 security = DOMAIN username map =
/etc/samba/smbusers log level = 101 max log size = 0 log file =
/usr/local/samba3.0.34/log/common.log

printcap name = CUPS

ldap ssl = no

idmap uid = 10000-20000

idmap gid = 10000-20000

printing = cups

[homes]

comment = Home Directories

valid users = %S

read only = No

browseable = No

[File Share]

comment = File Share

path = /usr/local/samba3.0.34/file_share read only = Yes browseable = Yes
create mask = 0777 guest ok = yes guest only = yes

Please let me know if you want more details.

Thanks &  Regards

    S.Karthikeyan