[SAMBA4] Help wanted: Python script to make OpenLDAP indexes

Oliver Liebel oliver at itc.li
Fri Mar 13 18:44:16 GMT 2009

Michael Ströder schrieb:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
>> Currently the performance of Samba4 against the OpenLDAP backend isn't
>> very good.
>>
>> Part of this might be because we don't set up the correct indexes.  I'm
>> wondering if someone might like to modify Samba4's provision-backend
>> system (see scripting/python/samba/provisi to
>> generate indexes in the same way it generates refint and memberof
>> configuration.
>>
>> This would replace the hard-coded indexes in setup/slapd.conf

this should be no big problem.
>> We already generate the index for local ldb in
>> source/dsdb/schema/schema_set.c:dsdb_schema_set_attributes(), but this
>> is via an abstraction layer that is probably a bit painful to use in
>> provision.py.
>>

> Hmm, I'm not sure how compatible Samba4 is supposed to be at the
> management level. In AD the index configuration can also be changed in
> the schema configuration container. Also you can define which attributes
> are present in the global catalog. If you want to implement this use of
> the dynamic configuration with OpenLDAP would be mandantory.

i think a pool of static and common used indexes (e.g. uid, cn,
sambaAccountName ...etc) should be always set.
as olc-configuration can be setup now automatic via backend-provision
(the "normal" olcIndexes are taken form slapd.conf
during conversion), every wanted/additional index can be generated/added
on the fly at any time, as long as olc is used.