[SAMBA4] Help wanted: Python script to make OpenLDAP indexes

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Mar 13 18:51:34 GMT 2009

Oliver Liebel wrote:
> Michael Ströder schrieb:
>> Hmm, I'm not sure how compatible Samba4 is supposed to be at the
>> management level. In AD the index configuration can also be changed in
>> the schema configuration container. Also you can define which attributes
>> are present in the global catalog. If you want to implement this use of
>> the dynamic configuration with OpenLDAP would be mandantory.
>>
> i think a pool of static and common used indexes (e.g. uid, cn,
> sambaAccountName ...etc) should be always set.
> as olc-configuration can be setup now automatic via backend-provision
> (the "normal" olcIndexes are taken form slapd.conf
> during conversion), every wanted/additional index can be generated/added
> on the fly at any time, as long as olc is used.

This would require specific code for each and every backend server
implementation (OpenLDAP, FDS etc.) to propagate changes in
cn=Schema,cn=Configuration to the schema- and index-related
configuration of that particular backend server. Much work. I'm not sure
whether that's worth the effort.

Ciao, Michael.