[SAMBA4] Help wanted: Python script to make OpenLDAP indexes

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Mar 13 16:41:35 GMT 2009

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Currently the performance of Samba4 against the OpenLDAP backend isn't
> very good.
>
> Part of this might be because we don't set up the correct indexes.  I'm
> wondering if someone might like to modify Samba4's provision-backend
> system (see scripting/python/samba/provisi to
> generate indexes in the same way it generates refint and memberof
> configuration.
>
> This would replace the hard-coded indexes in setup/slapd.conf
>
> We already generate the index for local ldb in
> source/dsdb/schema/schema_set.c:dsdb_schema_set_attributes(), but this
> is via an abstraction layer that is probably a bit painful to use in
> provision.py.

Hmm, I'm not sure how compatible Samba4 is supposed to be at the
management level. In AD the index configuration can also be changed in
the schema configuration container. Also you can define which attributes
are present in the global catalog. If you want to implement this use of
the dynamic configuration with OpenLDAP would be mandantory.

So what are the plans?

Ciao, Michael.