[SAMBA4] Help wanted: Python script to make OpenLDAP indexes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Mar 13 08:30:28 GMT 2009

Currently the performance of Samba4 against the OpenLDAP backend isn't
very good.

Part of this might be because we don't set up the correct indexes.  I'm
wondering if someone might like to modify Samba4's provision-backend
system (see scripting/python/samba/provision.py:provision_backend()) to
generate indexes in the same way it generates refint and memberof
configuration.

This would replace the hard-coded indexes in setup/slapd.conf

We already generate the index for local ldb in
source/dsdb/schema/schema_set.c:dsdb_schema_set_attributes(), but this
is via an abstraction layer that is probably a bit painful to use in
provision.py.

The flags are in the attribute searchFlags and the values are defined in
source4/dsdb/common/flags.h (not sure if these are easily brought into
python).

A bonus task would be to also enforce attribute uniqueness using the
uniqneness overlay.  (I am yet to do this in Samba's LDB yet).

Anyone feel like taking this on?

Thanks!

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.