Is there a Memory Leak in Samba 3.4.3?

Wolfgang Hotwagner listener at may.co.at
Fri Dec 4 15:51:07 MST 2009

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> Can you put the atop output into an attachment, so that the
> mail program does not wrap it? This might be easier to read.

See -> attachment
> If I read the output right though, smbd does not use silly
> amounts of memory. Which of the processes do you suspect to
> be the culprit?
I don't know exactly which process to be the culbrit. But the only thing
which is really used is samba.
>  And, having 7GB of memory used in cache is
> not a bad thing per se, it is indeed very good, it's memory
> used very well.
Sure, but even if i stop samba there are 7GB of memory used in cache. I
thought that the memory should be freed if i stop samba.

>  Can you catch it as briefly as possible
> before it crashes and do some statistics like the atop
> thing?

I could try, but it is very difficult. It could take hours to monitor,
befor the troubles begin.