Is there a Memory Leak in Samba 3.4.3?

Sat Dec 5 03:22:06 MST 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 11:51:07PM +0100, Wolfgang Hotwagner wrote:
> Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > Can you put the atop output into an attachment, so that the
> > mail program does not wrap it? This might be easier to read.
> >
> See -> attachment

Thanks. I don't see anything suspicious there.

> >  And, having 7GB of memory used in cache is
> > not a bad thing per se, it is indeed very good, it's memory
> > used very well.
> Sure, but even if i stop samba there are 7GB of memory used in cache. I
> thought that the memory should be freed if i stop samba.

No, that is not expected. The cache will only be re-assigned
to applications once they use it.

> >  Can you catch it as briefly as possible
> > before it crashes and do some statistics like the atop
> > thing?
> >

> I could try, but it is very difficult. It could take hours to monitor,
> befor the troubles begin.

Without more information I would suspect a kernel problem.
You also did not way about the nature of the crash. Does it
get slower, can't you log in immediately, does it still
ping? Does the kernel log a crash somewhere?

Volker