Is there a Memory Leak in Samba 3.4.3?

Fri Dec 4 08:43:10 MST 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 03:59:02PM +0100, Wolfgang Hotwagner wrote:
> i am working on a high-performance storage. it works perfectly. we did
> some heavy tests on samba and experienced server crashs.
> The server has 8GB Memory. after a while it uses about 7GB and later it
> crashes. If i stop samba, the server has still 7gb in cache.
> I first tried out samba 3.4.2(debian lenny-backport) and there is the
> same Problem. I am using a minimal config without any specials(one share
> public no authentication).

Can you put the atop output into an attachment, so that the
mail program does not wrap it? This might be easier to read.

If I read the output right though, smbd does not use silly
amounts of memory. Which of the processes do you suspect to
be the culprit? And, having 7GB of memory used in cache is
not a bad thing per se, it is indeed very good, it's memory
used very well. Can you catch it as briefly as possible
before it crashes and do some statistics like the atop
thing?

Volker