Fixing ntlm_auth server-1 method

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 30 17:21:43 MDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-30 at 16:56 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> On Saturday 29 August 2009 15:49:01 James Rhodes wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> > Recently I discovered that ntlm_auth wasn't working too great on the
> > ntlm-server-1 helper protocol (as in, crashing).  With help from abartlet
> > at #samba-technical at irc.freenode.net, I've managed to get a new version
> > compiling but it unfortunately still has a segmentation fault
> > messaging_init (line 831).  He told me to send an email to the mailing list
> > if I got stuck, so here I am.
>
> What version of Samba are we talking about here, and what's the sequence of
> commands that triggers the crash?

This is Samba4.

Kai:  What is the best auth module to use from ntlm_auth in Samba4?
With your recent work, I see there is now "winbind_wbclient" alongside
"winbind" (messaging based) and "winbind_samba3".

Does winbind_wbclient work yet?  Any idea if winbind_samba3 still
works?

What I'm getting at is that if we use one of "winbind_wbclient" or
"winbind_samba3" we should avoid the need to set up the messaging (which
is root-only).

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.