patch for kernel oplocks

Wed Apr 8 18:53:05 GMT 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:21:39AM -0700, Tim Prouty wrote:
> I'm not very familiar with the linux kernel lease/oplock API, but
> based on the comments in your commit message this patch looks fine.
> Out of curiosity, are you working on making level2 kernel oplocks work
> using samba on linux?  Have there been any recent improvements in the
> linux API that will make this easier?

Not that I know of. I have a little test program that shows
that you can not get a read lease if there is any fd open
for write. This is quite different from a level 2 oplock.
Jeff Layton on the #samba-technical irc channel had an
intersting suggestion: A cifs level 2 oplock is a query to
be notified if someone else writes. We could use the inotify
system for this. I haven't started coding that, but it's at
least an intersting idea that is worth exploring.

Volker