Suggested "combined tree" conditions for success

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Tue Sep 9 08:44:47 GMT 2008

Volker Lendecke schrieb:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 06:08:59PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>> Otherwise, by having differing rules on what is acceptable between the
>> (former) branches, we start setting back up the barriers that this move
>> is designed to break down.
>
> We'll see what the future brings. At least I would like to
> keep up the option to build a fully compatible Samba 3 build
> out of the combined tree for a while.

I'd say the same for the samba4 build.
The combined tree should also be the basis for future samba3 release
(after 3.3.x).

> I'd much rather go with "Hey, if you install python at build
> time you get this super-cool feature", not force people into
> it.

To depend on python at runtime, someone needs to fix the python build
for all machines in our build-farm.

I doesn't build on irix and some others the last time I tried to install
python there.

metze