Suggested "combined tree" conditions for success

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Tue Sep 9 08:42:42 GMT 2008

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 06:08:59PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Otherwise, by having differing rules on what is acceptable between the
> > (former) branches, we start setting back up the barriers that this move
> > is designed to break down.
>
> We'll see what the future brings. At least I would like to
> keep up the option to build a fully compatible Samba 3 build
> out of the combined tree for a while. This will not require
> perl or python for the release tree.
>
> I'd much rather go with "Hey, if you install python at build
> time you get this super-cool feature", not force people into
> it.

I think this is a very legitimate and doable approach.
We loose nothing and gain a lot by this.

It is important, to keep things working as they worked before
(from source3/ and source4) and add the merged build/test as
additional options.

Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>  <obnox at samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9