[OT] Re: Samba and OpenVPN: where are file access delays coming from?

Nick Boyce nick.boyce at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 20:24:20 GMT 2008

[sorry for the OT diversion ... I'll take it to samba at lists for any
further mails]

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:16 PM, Scott Lovenberg
<scott.lovenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nick Boyce wrote:
>> why's it called "Common Internet File System" then ???!?
>> Was that name just born of delusions of grandeur ?
>
> To (painfully) (mis)quote Jeremy Allison from his Google tech. talk on Samba.
> "It's called CIFS; Common Internet File System.  It has nothing to do with the internet.
> It is not a file system, and it is certainly not common."
>
> Google the tech talk, it's about an hour long, but really, really interesting.

Thanks :)   That clarified things a /lot/ for me.

BTW: I've spent a week of spare time trying to find a Jeremy A
Google-Tech-Talk on CIFS/Samba, but all I can find so far is this
Google SoC "CIFS Workshop" podcast from October 2007 :
http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2007/10/google-hosts-cifs-workshop.html
http://google-developer-podcast.googlecode.com/files/gsocpodcast014.ogg

If anyone actually has a link for this talk I'd be grateful ... but I
know you all have better things to do here.

Cheers
Nick Boyce
--
Who are you going to believe - me or your own eyes?
 -- Groucho Marx