Samba and OpenVPN: where are file access delays coming from?

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:16:03 GMT 2008

Nick Boyce wrote:
> [sorry - just catching up on list traffic]
>
> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org
>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 24, 2008 Jeroen wrote :
>>

>>> I took your advice and with result! Client is apparently downloading the
>>> entire file just to see the properties (in general this is being
>>>
> triggered>> with every right click action).
>
>> this is normal Windows behavior.  CIFS over a high-latency connection is
>> pretty horrible.
>>

> [chokes on his coffee]
>
> B'but .... why's it called "Common Internet File System" then ???!?
> Was that name just born of delusions of grandeur ?
>
> TIA for any education anyone can hurl at me.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick Boyce

To (painfully) (mis)quote Jeremy Allison from his Google tech. talk on
Samba.
"It's called CIFS; Common Internet File System.  It has nothing to do
with the internet.  It is not a file system, and it is certainly not
common."

Google the tech talk, it's about an hour long, but really, really
interesting.  Definitely in my top 3 favorite tech talks.
HTH.