Samba and OpenVPN: where are file access delays coming from?

Nick Boyce nick.boyce at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:07:55 GMT 2008

[sorry - just catching up on list traffic]

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org
> wrote:
>
> On Sep 24, 2008 Jeroen wrote :
>
>> I took your advice and with result! Client is apparently downloading the
>> entire file just to see the properties (in general this is being
triggered>> with every right click action).

> this is normal Windows behavior.  CIFS over a high-latency connection is
> pretty horrible.

[chokes on his coffee]

B'but .... why's it called "Common Internet File System" then ???!?
Was that name just born of delusions of grandeur ?

TIA for any education anyone can hurl at me.

Cheers,
Nick Boyce
--
Leave the Olympics in Greece where they belong.