The schemaUpdateNow_fix_and_test bug

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 11 21:34:24 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 11:11 +0200, Nadezhda Ivanova wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for taking the time to try this again. I have been working on
> that and it seems that the hanging is muuuuch worse if we send the
> request via LDAP instead of using ldbmodify directly.

Then why was the test written with ldapmodify on the local ldb?  Why not
use ldapmodify over ldap:// so as to provide a reproducible test case?

> What I have tried so far is to add a flag so that the addition of
> INTEGER and CASE_SENSITIVE are only added at bootstrapping, that is,
> that is not done if the indexes are generated because a
> schemaUpdateNow is invoked. I did this because you mentioned, and it
> is written in several places in the code, that we only need this at
> startup while we do not yet have a schema. It speeded up things, but
> not too much, besides it does not work - if I restart Samba
> afterwards, I get a message that the schema head is missing...
> So what I plan to do now is to remove the fix, then make a profile
> using google tools. I know valgrind is mostly used, but I have more
> experience with google tools and I did not find how to make a cpu
> profile with valgrind. This will hopefully point out where we get the
> delay. Then I will make a python script to execute whjat we are doing
> via ldap, so that you can try it this way. If you still have no
> problem, we can start comparing system configurations. What do you
> think?

That sounds reasonable.  Please use the ldb engine to handle this (in
python), rather than native python-ldap, as this must be reproduced in
'make test', or else we will chase system configurations forever.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.