The schemaUpdateNow_fix_and_test bug

Nadezhda Ivanova nadezhda.ivanova at postpath.com
Tue Nov 11 09:11:46 GMT 2008

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to try this again. I have been working on that and it seems that the hanging is muuuuch worse if we send the request via LDAP instead of using ldbmodify directly. What I have tried so far is to add a flag so that the addition of INTEGER and CASE_SENSITIVE are only added at bootstrapping, that is, that is not done if the indexes are generated because a schemaUpdateNow is invoked. I did this because you mentioned, and it is written in several places in the code, that we only need this at startup while we do not yet have a schema. It speeded up things, but not too much, besides it does not work - if I restart Samba afterwards, I get a message that the schema head is missing...
So what I plan to do now is to remove the fix, then make a profile using google tools. I know valgrind is mostly used, but I have more experience with google tools and I did not find how to make a cpu profile with valgrind. This will hopefully point out where we get the delay. Then I will make a python script to execute whjat we are doing via ldap, so that you can try it this way. If you still have no problem, we can start comparing system configurations. What do you think?

Regards,
Nadezhda Ivanova