Problem with DNS setting Samba 4 alpha 5

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jul 31 13:20:44 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 12:47 +0000, ogy_hpower wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have test the alpha 5 (actually i'm just a newbie inside this mailing list.)
> Can somebody help me with the provision setup?:
> 1) Differentiate between realm and domain

Domain means the netbios name, realm is the dns based name.

> 2) Server role that can be support by the smb.conf
>            - can it be additional domain controller? if can how to?

With an LDAP backend, it is possible (see request on this list to assist
in making this automatic) to have multiple domain controllers.

> 3) I have this scenario; I have this samba 4 as the PDC; can i used
> the win2k3 to be as the additional domain controller? i have used the
> DCPROMO; at the end, it failed to synchronize. Is possible to make it?

No.  We do not implement the required protocols.

> 4) Until now, i still have problem to used the DNS, i'm using centos.
> Can somebody guide me on this setting by example? I have follw the
> instruction on how to at wiki but still failed on nslookup.

I suggest you look closely at your DNS logs.

> 5) How about ACL used in samba 4? May i know smb.conf setting to make it success?

Which part of ACL settings are you having trouble with?  (And yes, we
know we have some less than ideal behaviours in the fileserver here).

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.