Problem with DNS setting Samba 4 alpha 5

kstan kstan79 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 15:32:36 GMT 2008

在 2008-07-31四的 23:20 +1000,Andrew Bartlett写道:
> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 12:47 +0000, ogy_hpower wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have test the alpha 5 (actually i'm just a newbie inside this mailing list.)
> > Can somebody help me with the provision setup?:
> > 1) Differentiate between realm and domain
>
> Domain means the netbios name, realm is the dns based name.
>
> > 2) Server role that can be support by the smb.conf
> >            - can it be additional domain controller? if can how to?
>
> With an LDAP backend, it is possible (see request on this list to assist
> in making this automatic) to have multiple domain controllers.
>
> > 3) I have this scenario; I have this samba 4 as the PDC; can i used
> > the win2k3 to be as the additional domain controller? i have used the
> > DCPROMO; at the end, it failed to synchronize. Is possible to make it?

> No.  We do not implement the required protocols.

I know that the complete replication (include site-site and etc) is very
complex. Refer:
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/win2k/win2kadrepl.html

However, after windows 2003 promoted to new additional DC. I guess we
can do the manual replication (using RFC standard protocol) via Linux
ldaps->Windows AD ldaps, rsync Linux sysvol->Windows sysvol, and finally
Linux DNS to Windows DNS(Not AD integrated), is it possible (Of course
there is much more thing which is I can imagine now)?

> > 4) Until now, i still have problem to used the DNS, i'm using centos.
> > Can somebody guide me on this setting by example? I have follw the
> > instruction on how to at wiki but still failed on nslookup.
>
> I suggest you look closely at your DNS logs.
What kind of problem u have?