[SAMBA4] Towards another TP?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 10 01:18:10 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 02:05 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 15:37 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > SWAT:  We need the new SWAT integrated with authentication, and the old
> > scripts.  Derrell assures me that is on his plans.  Also build
> > portability etc.
> Build portability for SWAT specifically or in general?
>
> Another thing is the size SWAT, which we already discussed a bit on IRC.
> All web apps combined are 121Mb, whereas the rest of the sources of
> Samba are only 59 Mb combined. I think that's too much for a
> configuration tool...

We certainly need to figure out what the direction is here.  I like the
new LDB browser, but something does seem a little out of proportion
here.

> > RPC:  If I run 'TEST_LDAP=yes make test', then the RPC-LSA test
> > segfaults, due to a timeout.  We should at least fix the timeout
> > segfault, if not the reason for the timeout.
> Is there any reason TEST_LDAP isn't set to yes by default? What does it
> do exactly?

It re-runs the entire testsuite against an LDAP backend.  To enable it
by default, we would need a way to shut down smbd, re-provision and then
run a limited number of tests.

> > Heimdal:  Love has given me a PAC patch, and once we work on an
> > agreeable form for that, and the couple of other things in the diff, we
> > should almost be at 'drop heimdal tarball here' stage.
> Nice :-) What's the idea from that point on? Will we simply ship with
> heimdal included but use an external and recent enough heimdal if found,
> just like we do with popt?

We are still rather tightly coupled to the version of Heimdal we choose
(as I find out whenever I update).  We need to use less internal
interfaces still.

But I really want to get to this point.

> > Release Notes:  We need them written for this release, and some things
> > cleaned up from the previous ones.
> Do we really? This is still a preview release. It's not intended to be
> used for production-like things. What would the use of such release
> notes be?

Just like any release, a set of notes on what changed, etc.  In
particular, just some of the language in the previous ones need a bit
more work, I think.