group_mapping.ldb and 3.0.25

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Feb 21 05:43:08 GMT 2007

Andrew ,

>> Does anyone else on this list feel that there are under
>> the table agreements going on?
>
> It certainly feels that way.

I was specifically asking for additional feedback.
I know you already feel this way.  I'm sure what to
tell you.  I spend hours on email and try to hang out
on IRC.  I've posted release dates, as well as bugzilla
days and themes recently.

What specifically do you want from me?  Give me
explicit recommendation on how I can do the job better.
Things that can be implemented.  Statements like
"be more transparent" leave me scratching my head.
I believe in transparency in life and so I'm not
sure what else to do.  That's why I wanted to keep
this thread on samba-technical.  We should never say
or write anything that we are not willing to stand
by.  That is my definition of transparent.

But right now this seems to be more like "I haven't had
time to read the newspaper" than not having a newspaper
at all (to keep informed).  There is lot going on and a
lot to keep up with.

I never intentionally do anything offlist.  If you want
to know what's going on with the Samba 3.0 releases
and you can't get a good feel from the ml, please email
me directly.  John T.  used to call me up once a week
and touch base so he could stay in the loop.

There are numerous people that catch me on IRC and
ask what's going on.  Timur (FreeBSD), Guenther,
Jim McD, James P., etc...  I even have a list I
maintain to keep Samba package maintainers up to
date on security releases and early access to tarballs.

Maybe I should do a better job of posting what is
planned to be included in the upcoming releases
on a wiki page.  That's a lot of additional work, but
it if will help, I'll certainly try.

> For my part, all I want is to feel that as one team,
> that it becomes possible for every team member to make
> a technical contribution, and be part of the discussion.

Of course.  I don't disagree.  I'm simply trying to get
a lagging release out.  In order to that by Samba XP I
believe that we have to make some choices.  You may not
agree with those.  I'll respect that.  But I still have
to do it.  I can't just give into to every dissenting voice.
There are too many of them.  Of course, if they are all
about one feature in unison, then I have to listen.  That
is just not the case here.

You have to realize that release management IMO is
not always strictly technical.  It's as much project
management as it is software development.  Both of which
are difficult problems in their own right.

cheers, jerry