group_mapping.ldb and 3.0.25

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Feb 21 05:00:14 GMT 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 02:47:08PM +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:

> What I am asking for is a greater degree of transparency, and the
> removal of the two-tier team system that has now evolved. I would
> prefer to keep you as release manager but increase transparency. If
> that is not possible then yes, I would be willing to consider changing
> release manager, and I could take it on if nobody else is willing to
> do it.

I don't think there is a two-tier team system. There are two *projects*
but that's not the same thing.

Changing release managers at this point is not practical, and would
be very damaging in denigrating all the work Jerry has done up to
this point.

Someone has to take the tough decisions on what is supportable
in a particular release and what isn't, and I trust Jerry to
do this because he's proved that he knows what he's doing.

Likewise I trust tridge in knowing what the technically
correct thing to do is moving forward, but sometimes that
doesn't fit for a particular release.

There are things I've wanted to get into 3.0.x that won't
make it because someone pulled them out, even after I've
worked hard on them (delete on close is still broken for
example).

tridge, I think you're wrong on this one - Jerry needs to
be able to make a decision and know people support him,
even if we sometimes grumble a bit. I would never second
guess what people want to put into a Samba4 technical
preview, and it doesn't help the release manager to
second guess this close to release.

This isn't an irrevocable technical decision, we need
a better group mapping solution and ldb is it, it's
a matter of timing and testing right now.

Just my 2cents, I'm going to go play with Sam now :-).
I'll catch up again tomorrow.

Jeremy.