group_mapping.ldb and 3.0.25

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Feb 21 05:34:58 GMT 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 04:21:04PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 21:56 -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>
> > Does anyone else on this list feel that there are under
> > the table agreements going on?
>
> It certainly feels that way.  It's not the first time, and the reason to
> raise it is to get these things addressed.  There was a time when it
> felt like Jeremy and Tridge had a side discussion going on, but this was
> soon clarified.

Yeah but we *all* feel like that :-). I remember for a while
being completely paranoid that all major decisions were being
made on IRC when I wasn't there, or that global decisions like
what source code control system to use were made deliberately
when I was on a plane and couldn't give input...... Thank goodness
that one was only a nightmare :-).

> Similarly, a while back, complaints were made that Samba4 was it's own
> little club, and I know I took an effort to do more work on the mailing
> list.  Likewise, It's great to see jelmer's work in progress on
> samba-cvs.

Yeah, thanks for that it's much appreciated !

> There has been a lot of good work done in the last little while, and it
> has been good to see Volker port Tridge' work on inotify().  I was only
> recently commenting to Tridge about how it seemsed we were working
> better as a whole team.
>
> For my part, all I want is to feel that as one team, that it becomes
> possible for every team member to make a technical contribution, and be
> part of the discussion.

Personally I also felt we were working better, and I also
think we're all making technical contributions. I think
tridge's plan is the correct way to do group mapping longer
term but I'm not going to argue about Jerry pulling it
at this stage for 3.0.25 (and yes I agreed with him on
this one). It needs to be working in "test" products
(like the winbindd rewrite that went on recently)
and really be beaten up more (it's tridge code, I
know it will pass :-) for 3.0.26.

Jeremy.