Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 01:50:52 GMT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 11:39:38AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> So a username will be different depending on what localle the user
> selected for a login session?

winbindd clients currently pass strings to winbindd in their native
locale. ie. If someone has LANG=en_US set they'll be passing strings
in ISO8859-1 to winbindd. Now if we have "unix charset = utf8" (which
most people do by default) then we'll screw up some string conversions
to UCS2.

> Isn't this meant to be a whole of server setting, for the unix charset?

No, see above.

> Will smbd call this, when doing 'internal' winbind operations?

All clients will do this under the covers when talking to winbindd
down the pipe (ie. the first call must be WINBINDD_SETLOCALE).

> If not, will getpwnam() in smbd operate on a different charset to those
> internal calls?

Not if I do it right :-).

Jeremy.