Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Björn Jacke bj at SerNet.DE
Tue Aug 28 08:36:18 GMT 2007

On 2007-08-27 at 18:30 -0700 Jeremy Allison sent off:
> Thoughts ? Comments ?

that means a winbind client running in legacy en_US locale will for
example see a iso8859-1 encoded user name "domänen administrator" while
at the same time a 'getent passwd "domänen administrator"' on the
same system gives *nothing*. That will be because libc will not do any
conversion and IIRC the correcponding nsswitch functions do not care
about locales at all. Instead the same user via nsswitch will have a
"totally different" name: "domänen administrator" - which is again
not known by a "localized" winbind.

Am I wrong? Otherwise I'm not so convinced that such a conversion
is a good idea.

Björn
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9