Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 01:39:38 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 18:30 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	Just wanted to give you a heads up that I'm working
> on an architecture for winbindd client character set conversion
> for strings crossing the client <--> winbindd boundary.
>
> Each client will do a WINBINDD_SETLOCALE call after
> initial connection to the winbindd socket. This will
> be associated with the internal state of that fd, and
> a new type of conversion, CH_WB_CLIENT, will be used
> so we can re-use all our existing charset conversion
> code. The pointers for this conversion will be swapped
> in by an internal set_current_wb_client_charset() call
> made from the parent winbindd once the data is read
> from the client and before dispatch. Each dispatch
> function will then call a winbindd_client_str_pull()
> winbindd_client_str_push() function when reading/returning
> the data structure to the client.
>
> These functions will be reference counted and cached
> so we're not constantly re-opening the iconv handles.
>
> Thoughts ? Comments ?

So a username will be different depending on what localle the user
selected for a login session?

Isn't this meant to be a whole of server setting, for the unix charset?

Will smbd call this, when doing 'internal' winbind operations?

If not, will getpwnam() in smbd operate on a different charset to those
internal calls?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.