samba technical preview testing docs

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 31 11:49:57 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 12:19 +0300, Joshua Masiko wrote:
> I downloaded samba tp 3 in order to test its active directory capability.
> However attempts to join the test domain from a Win 2k professional
> machine(no service packs)
> failed. The error is something about an unsupported encryption type.
> I suspected it's to do with the fact that there are no service packs applied
> but I'm not sure.

Yeah, it's a known, but not documented issue.  I'm doing an update to
the latest Heimdal, and then we will need to decide if we will support
the old (weak) encryption types.  It's only an issue with Win2k SP0.

> Don't you think the howto.txt should contain some information on how to test
> Windows clients
> and what the minimum requirements are otherwise only hardcore samba guys
> will know what
> to do?

At this stage, anything above Win2k SP1 should work, but we tend to test
with XP.

> Currently it only contains unix cmdline client instructions.

Was there anything in particular that was a problem here?

> Also the
> current state of the EJS Swat stuff is not very encouraging.

This is an area that should be improving, but we desperately need an
overall SWAT maintainer.  We have good developers putting out good code
(like the ldb editor), but it needs some help putting it together.

> Lastly does gensec provide a comparable API to SSPI on windows, if so I
> think it should also have
> some preliminary docs in the TP releases.

Yeah, we do need more GENSEC docs.  it is like SSPI, and one of the
attempts at better Wine/Samba integration was to wrap GENSEC with SSPI,
for wine to use.

> I think more effort should be put into the things most visible/testable by
> the average user in the TP releases (SWAT,Docs,Developement Libs etc). As a
> person whose interested in the underlying tech
> but not competent and/or too scared to understand the internals code I think
> these suggestions would
> broaden the number of willing testers.

I agree.  I'm disappointed how little the GUI stuff is used (judging by
how broken it was when I had to test it for the TP), but then again, I
tend to use the command line too...

Tridge's aim with the new SWAT was 'a GUI so good even a developer will
want to use it', but we have some work to do to get that far.  We do
need some help here.