Samba hangs (pthread?)

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Tue Jun 13 00:31:55 GMT 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 08:40:10AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 03:32:00PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > Huh?  It *doesn't*, on any system I've ever used.  You're the one claiming
> > that linking libpthread into the process causes extra threads to be spawned
> > even if the application never calls pthread_create() -- how about if you
> > back that up with references to a system that's broken in this manner if you
> > have them, instead of acting like a jerk towards me?

> I know simply linking to pthreads doesn't call pthread_create(), but what
> about things that have to be linked into Samba, such as the NSS libraries
> that are dynamically loaded ? I don't think we know if any of them do or
> not (and won't unless we examine source code).

At least on Debian, I'm not aware that any NSS libraries spawn threads of
their own, and I would certainly consider it a bug-to-be-fixed if there was
one.  So if you find evidence of such a thing, I'd appreciate knowing :)

vorlon at debian.org                                   http://www.debian.org/