Samba hangs (pthread?)

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Mon Jun 12 17:41:26 GMT 2006

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> I know simply linking to pthreads doesn't call pthread_create(), but what about
> things that have to be linked into Samba, such as the NSS libraries that are
> dynamically loaded ? I don't think we know if any of them do or not (and won't
> unless we examine source code).

   I **think** this issue started with the old Solaris 2.6 libthread,
which appeared to me from pstack output to be creating a service
thread when the library was linked. This had something to do with
that library's multiplexing single kernel threads to serve multiple
user threads.

   All later Solarii use a different library, which doesn't need
extra threads, as it provides exactly one kernel thread per user
thread.  Way less overhead, and it's faster, too (;-))

--dave
(416) 223-5943