r16787 -- remove fstrings and use talloc

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jul 5 16:51:26 GMT 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 08:17:35AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> If it doesn't work, it's worse than what we had.  I wish
> you wouldn't rewrite stuff without testing it.  When any of
> us do this, it only encourages others (inside and outside
> the team) to do the same.  I trust you to finish
> it up but I also have worked with you enough to be scared
> by comments like this one.

It is better than what was there. Trust me on that :-).
The code that was there was confused, badly designed
and had several unknown dependencies on in/out parameters
that were not understood by the upper layers. That is
explicit now.

I checked into HEAD specifically because I needed to
fix this without disturbing 3.x. This needs to be possible,
otherwise it's not possible to make the architectural
changes needed to fix major problems. This is something
Volker wanted to do but had not yet gotten to. I helped
out, I made the time (on my holiday day too :-).

> The fact that gd had to fix
> the builds of idmap_rid and idmap_ad is really a bad sign.

I assumed they were being build by default - if they
were I would have caught those errors in the rewrite. That
wasn't a big deal.

> I'm not running trunk until I know you have finished
> testing your code and I will vote against cutting trunk
> over to SAMBA_3_0 until that point.

I agree. I want to fix this before moving it over.

> Sorry to be rude, but I'm a little more than annoyed
> at your response on the list.  You never do anything
> with winbindd and then decide to rewrite the idmap
> interface in one day without talking to anyone.  I told
> Volker I would review Simo's work after the 4th.  Everything
> was under control.

I do lots of things with winbindd, and work really
hard to make sure I have at least an architectural overview of
everything that's in Samba - this is my job.

Jeremy.