FHS defaults for samba4

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Jan 5 19:19:21 GMT 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 12:05, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> As we move towards the tech preview, I have been thinking about old
> Samba habits that should not die hard.
>
> One of these is FHS.  The use of lib for the smb.conf file in the
> default prefix and the like has been with us for many long years, and we
> need to fix that up.  In Samba3, debian and the like have patches that
> change Samba's core to fix this up (even in addition to the --with-fhs
> configure option), but we should avoid having to do that.
>
> Can I have some advise/confirmation, on where we should have:
>
>                (packages)           (source install)
>  - smbd
>                /usr/sbin            PREFIX/sbin
>  - smbclient (et al)
>                /usr/bin             PREFIX/bin
>  - smb.conf?
>                /etc/samba           PREFIX/etc
>  - sam.ldb
>    secrets.ldb
>    secrets.keytab
>    <other private files>
>                /var/lib/samba/private PREFIX/var/lib/private
>  - WINS database
>                /var/lib/samba       PREFIX/var/lib
>  - Samba3 winbindd_privileged pipe (permissions persistent)
>                /var/lib/samba       PREFIX/var/lib
>  - interprocess communication pipes
>                /var/run/samba/      PREFIX/var/run
>  - swat files (HTML, client-side js)
>                /usr/share/samba/swat  PREFIX/share/swat
>  - templates, provision scripts
>                /usr/share/samba     PREFIX/share
>  - logs
>                /var/log/samba       PREFIX/var/log
>  - include files
>                /usr/include         PREFIX/include
>  - shared libaries
>                /usr/lib             PREFIX/lib

For packaging we must move to %{_lib} which defaults to /lib on 32-bit systems
and to /lib64 on 64-bit systems.

For /usr/lib we need to follow a suitable convention also. Please refer to the
new samba.spec file I prepared for Jerry for Fedora and for RHEL. It was
painful trying to find the correct installation locations - both for 32 and
64-bit environment support.

>  - plugins
>                /usr/lib             PREFIX/lib

Ditto above comments.

>  - locking databases (non-persistent)
>                /var/run/samba      PREFIX/var/run
>  - cache databases (winbindd cache)
>                /var/cache/samba   PREFIX/var/cache
>  - printing (persistent cache, but you loose print job tracking if you
> scrub it)
>                /var/lib/samba     PREFIX/var/
>    (or should this be /var/cache/samba or /var/spool/samba?)

Red Hat and SuSE have opposing conventions here. I doubt that either will
change on that score.

> I have no doubt missed some stuff, but it would be nice to try and get
> this right this time.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

- John T.