FHS defaults for samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jan 5 20:09:04 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 12:19 -0700, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Thursday 05 January 2006 12:05, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > As we move towards the tech preview, I have been thinking about old
> > Samba habits that should not die hard.

> >  - locking databases (non-persistent)
> >                /var/run/samba      PREFIX/var/run
> >  - cache databases (winbindd cache)
> >                /var/cache/samba   PREFIX/var/cache
> >  - printing (persistent cache, but you loose print job tracking if you
> > scrub it)
> >                /var/lib/samba     PREFIX/var/
> >    (or should this be /var/cache/samba or /var/spool/samba?)
>
> Red Hat and SuSE have opposing conventions here. I doubt that either will
> change on that score.

Can you clarify which uses which?

In any case, what I'll aim to do is have Samba4 able to accommodate
either by means of configure options.  That way, the different packages
can still move things around, but won't have to patch source to do so.

The big thing I'm trying to avoid is that the Debian folks had a patch
to spilt one of our directories into two standard places.  The problem
was, they didn't want to create more smb.conf options (real
documentation pain), so administrators were unable to change these at
runtime.