Samba Ldap sync

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 7 23:21:03 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 15:40 -0700, Paul Neeley wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have  compiled Samba  3.0.11 on solaris 2.9 and running with start_tls
> with  SunOne DS5.2_Patch_3.   I currently have samba clients
> authenticating against the sun one directory server and it works.
> Users can also log in to the solaris box and using smbpasswd can change
> their sambantpassword and sambalmpassword. They are also able to change
> their ldap passwd via the solaris passwd command.
>
> I have ldap passwd sync set to yes, but the ldap password never gets
> changed and I am unable to see any failures in the ldap access logs.

Your server (not openldap) probably doesn't support the openldap
extension 'ldap password sync' uses.

I think this is a sensible extension, and it's documented in an RFC
these days, so perhaps you could talk to your vendor about supporting
it?

Otherwise, you could hack some things up via 'unix passwd sync', but
it's far less elegant.