Sidebar to Apple OS X SMB issues across VPN

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Tue Oct 25 12:00:52 GMT 2005

  There are often two settings that give good speed: just
small enough to fit into an MTU, and really, really big.

  The former gets efficiencies if fragmentation and
errors cause retransmissions, but it assumes the application
can process many small reads/writes quickly.

  The latter gets efficiencies if the application
works best with few large writes, but assumes the
IP stack will do the packetization elegantly.

  You're using the latter, which often works well
with samba. I'd try unsetting the "Ignore DF (Don't Fragment)
Bit" at the offsite end and see if it has an effect.
Mismatching them is probably not good.

--dave

--
David Collier-Brown,      | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest