Sidebar to Apple OS X SMB issues across VPN

Dan Tappin dan at orourke.ca
Mon Oct 24 22:10:00 GMT 2005

My brain hurts after reading this :)...

Being that this my system being dissected I will add some comments.

I played with the:

  - Xserve's MTU (currently 1492 - default 1500)
  - the Xserve's Sonicwall's MTU (1500)

Here is the options from the Sonicwall's ethernet config page:

  - (checked) Fragment non-VPN outbound packets larger than WAN MTU
  - (not checked) Ignore DF (Don't Fragment) Bit
  - WAN MTU: 1500

hmmm... I just double checked the offsite's Sonicwall:

  - (checked) Fragment non-VPN outbound packets larger than WAN MTU
  - (checked) Ignore DF (Don't Fragment) Bit
  - WAN MTU: 1500

So if one device is passing unfragmented data and the other is
fragmenting it any way (remember I know nothing about TCP/IP -
forgive my ignorance) could this be the issue?

I have made both the same (not checked).  I will double check the
speed issue and then also try both checked.  Before I do any
suggestions as to which one would be better?  Same goes for a MTU
setting?

Dan T

On Oct 24, 2005, at 2:56 PM, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Dave,
>
> The continuation messages occur whenever the SMB message is larger
> than
> the MTU on the link.  It's the TCP/IP stack that breaks the large
> SMB down
> into smaller chunks for transmission.

<<snip>>