WINS remote administration protocol

Thu Oct 6 09:04:52 GMT 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 09:10:21AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> nmbd to using a tdb that could be accessed by smbd.  If you
> add the static entry file like we talked about, and we get the
> adminuistration tool up, then we would probably be ok.
> I know we reverted from the tdb solution a while ago, but I think
> this would be a requirement for real remote administration via rpc.

To be honest, I'm not sure this can be done without someone actually looking
at nmbd again. I removed the wins.tdb before 3_0 because nmbd assumes
everything is in memory and he is the only boss of wins.tdb.

I've got a real customer requirement for static entries now, and I'm half-way
through to have nmbd as a wins server look at its lmhosts file. This is not as
easily remoteable but could provide boilerplate for some additional tdb to
look at for static entries.

I'd have to thoroughly look again, but I don't think replacing wins.dat with
wins.tdb is a real option for nmbd without some internal rewrite.

Volker