A small patch for C++ VFS modules.

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Thu Jun 23 12:35:19 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 06:04:46PM +1000, Ben Martin wrote:
> > >  		int (*fstat)(struct vfs_handle_struct *handle, struct files_struct *fsp, int fd, SMB_STRUCT_STAT *sbuf);
> > Any change in VFS layer require increasing VFS version number.
>
> I'm not sure I follow here, if changes are limited to renaming
> "char* new" -> "char* newstr"
> in the header doesn't that retain all VFS version number compatibility?
Technically, yes. But from maintenance point of view we need to record any
changes so that even source-level compatibility is enforced by refusing to
load binary modules built for previous version of VFS. It would make
module provider more attentive to what happens in main VFS API.

In this particular case I'm planning to combine this change with my
introduction of statvfs/statfs combined call which is needed for new CIFS
UNIX Extensions call expected by Linux cifsfs so there will be VFS API
version change anyway.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Samba Team                      http://www.samba.org/