[Performance] Samba 3 vs. Samba 4 performance in NetBench

Kaplan, Marc marc_kaplan at adaptec.com
Thu Jun 9 00:41:37 GMT 2005

I decided it would be fun to compare performance of Samba 3 and Samba 4
using the "industry standard" NetBench tool. I hope to update this
periodically during the development of Samba 3 and Samba 4. Here are
details of the setup:

Clients
  * First 8 (higher performance clients): Gigabit P3-1GHz 256MB/RAM
  * Last 52 (standard): 100Mbit P3-600MHz, 128MB/RAM

Note: I used this configuration to maximize performance and also to
simulate both higher end and lower end clients in a network.

Server
  * Pentium 4, 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM.
  * Raid 0 on three WD 250GB ATA drives
  * Broadcom Gigabit Network card
  * SUSE Enterprise Linux 8, running a hand build 2.6.11.11 kernel

Samba configuration
  * Samba 3 and Samba 4 smb.confs attached to this e-mail.
  * Samba 3 SVN checkout from 6-4-05 @ 1AM GMT
  * Samba 4 SVN checkout from 6-4-05 @ 9AM GMT

Note1: For the Samba 3 oplocks on and off tests I set the proper
smb.conf options.
Note2: For the xattrs test I made sure /Raid was mounted with
user_xattr, and verified that attrs were getting set properly.
Note3: For the eadb test I had posix:eadb = /eadbpath.tdb set in
smb.conf and verified that attrs were getting set properly.

The results are attached in an Excel document (sorry, that's what
NetBench spits out), that should you should be able to open in
OpenOffice.

Attachments:
smb.conf.samba3: The smb.conf I used for Samba 3
smb.conf.samba4: The smb.conf I used for samba 4 (eadb was the last test
I ran so it's still set)
Samba4vsSamba3.xls: Comparison of Samba 3 and Samba 4 performance in
NetBench.

		-Marc