MIT Kerberos DAL reference code published

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 2 13:18:23 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 22:39 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 05:51 -0600, Vinayak Hegde wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  Database plug-ability in MIT Kerberos allowing the use of external
> > back-end was one of the important requirements of Samba4.
> >
> >  I have published the MIT Kerberos Database Abstraction Layer (DAL) code
> > for reference at the following URL:
> > http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfcontent/private.php/mit-krb-ldap/homepage/DAL-code/dal-2005-jun-02-src.tar.gz
>
> It is good to finally see the code.  Unfortunately, I can't make much
> sense of it without the MIT code, and you have it in a rather odd
> format.  Is it available as a patch against a particular version of MIT
> kerberos?
>
> To be honest, I don't expect this will change the course we are set on
> for Samba4 development, but it will be interesting to watch.

To be clear on my comments.  The outcome of the 'libkdc' discussion held
on these lists recently was that most parties seemed agreed that the
Samba team should continue down the current approach, where I'm
embedding a KDC (which looks like being Heimdal, due to good technical
progress) into Samba4's source tree.

(I'm finishing some details of how this will happen, and will report
back to the lists on the experiments soon)

I do intend to study both this and Shushi (which has some very nice code
inside, but is also the new kid on the block) as they develop, and as
interested developers customise interfaces to allow Samba use them.

All this said, my focus has to be on getting a Samba4 release, and for
the initial release, I'll hope to just support our builtin KDC, with a
view to the opportunities presented thereafter.

I hope this makes matters clearer, and I am grateful to finally see the
code.