libmsrpc comments

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Tue Jul 26 19:17:30 GMT 2005

Chris,

Just looking over you recent checkins.  Thing seem to be
progressing fairly well.  Couple of questions/comments.

Why use a cli_state* in struct _CACSERVERHANDLE instead
a libsmbclient connection structure ?  the cli_state* stuff
is pretty messy.  This is probably the biggest question.
The remaining items are all minor.

When tracking the _srv_level, I would recommend tracking
by a numerated type for os.  For example, instead of _srv_level = 1,
I would use something like server_type = SRV_WIN_NT4.

Use True and False instead of 0 and 1 when you mean BOOL.
(i.e. uint32 _pipes[] should probably be declared as BOOL _pipes[])

I'd rather not have a function an structure by the same name.
That get pretty confusing and in fact I think tridge had a technical
reason for not doing so in Samba 4.  For example,
int cac_LsaOpenPolicy(CacServerHandle *hnd, struct cac_LsaOpenPolicy *op);

If you have any test code you are working with to exercise
the new rpc functions, pleas check that in as well.  Just so
we can all play with it.

It is probably easier to clean up the "implicit declaration of
function XX" warnings along the way than wait until the end.
If you compile with --enable-developer, you will see what I mean
(in case you aren't already).

Beware of using a TALLOC_CTX* in the server handle for client
calls since the server handle is supposedly long lived.  You'll
end up with memory bloat here.

Finally, we probably need a good solution to deal with the
security bits when opening handles.  I doubt that redeclaring them
in libmsrpc.h is a good idea.

Overall, things look like they are going really well.  Given the 4
and 1/2 weeks left in google's summer, how many rpc pipes do you
want to try to complete?  And how do you want to demo the library?
At one point you had mentioned a command line user manager, or
registry editor.

cheers, jerry