Port Samba to VxWorks

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 18 10:22:57 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 11:12 +0100, "Andreas Löttner" wrote:
> Hello
>
> I try to port the linux Samba to VxWorks. I need this to connect a Windows
> PC to a Control System under VxWorks. I dont need the special features like
> LDAP or ADS and so on, only the basics (copy files, open files, basic
> security features).
> The Server should be able to deal with a few Windows NT/2000/XP clients.
> The big problem is that the original samba source uses a fork() command,
> which is not available under VxWorks. There you can only create tasks.
>
> It would be a great advantage if someone has already tried to port samba to
> vxworks and what strategy could be used.

If you can't fork(), then perhaps you could take on a Samba4 port.
Assuming that VxWorks has an otherwise reasonable posix implementation,
then Samba4 is a better chance than anything else, as it has a single
process modal that is designed not to fork().

But, I don't know much about VxWorks, and I dare say the person doing
the port would need to know it reasonably well...