SMB Client Modifications

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Nov 5 15:50:54 GMT 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:11:47AM -0600, Noah Korba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've made some modifications to the smbclient (compiles as
> "xsmbclient"), that produces pipe-seperated responses which makes it
> easier for a wrapping script to parse information coming from the
> smbclient. I was told that I need to inform the SMB developers about
> any changes I make to the SMB project, due to the license the SMB
> project uses. Is there anyone I need to contact, or does posting to
> this list get the message out to those who need to know?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Noah

You don't need to tell us anything.  :)

Read the GPL.  When we provide our software to you, we grant you many
rights over the source code (all as part of the GPL).  The only real
restriction is that you are required (under the terms of the GPL) to pass
those same rights along to any user of a derivative work you create.

So, if you are the only user of xsmbclient, you only have to share the
modified source with yourself.

If you give a binary copy of xsmbclient to your buddy, your buddy has the
right to request (and receive) the source used to build that binary.

It's polite, but not at all required, that you share bugfixes and
improvements with the community.

Again, please read the GPL.  As legal docs go, it's not half bad.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org