WINS TTL

Guillermo Gomez ggomez at neotechgw.net
Wed May 12 21:14:35 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 16:59, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 03:42:27PM -0400, Guillermo Gomez wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a special requirement for the Samba WINS server: i need TTL times
> > in wins.dat very shorts (minutes range). But can't make it work the way
> > i want (tried the three ttl settings without luck, leases in wins.dat
> > are long, very long).
> >
> > The overall situation is:
> >
> > Win98 PPTP client
> > FortiGate Firewall (doing PPTP)
> > Samba Server running WINS server
> >
> > The problem is that i need to print to a remote Win98 client from local
> > Samba Clients and the IP addresses asigned to remote PPPTP clients by
> > the FortiGate varies.
> >
> > The client has configured the Samba WINS Server. When the client logs
> > into the VPN Network, they register their names into wins.dat.
> >
> > But, when a client VPN IP addresses changes (next connection probably
> > during the same day), it can't register it's name because it's already
> > registered by himself but with another IP.
>
> That shouldn't be the case.  When the client re-registers itself, Samba
> should check the IP of the previous registration.  If that IP does not
> claim the name, then Samba will grant the name to the new registrant.
>
> That's what's *supposed* to happen.

Agree... i'll check the Win98 registration process with ethereal at the
server just to know it's happening or not.

Anyway, my test was:

1.-stop everything, remove wins.dat, start everything
2.-clients setups the vpn link (10.30.60.1 the first time)
3.-name appears in wins.dat (it registers ok this time)
4.-hangup de vpn connection and redial again the vpn conn (got
10.30.60.2)
5.-name keeps appearing as 10.30.60.1 in wins.dat...

So the behaviour is not well understood yet. I setup win98 with it's
groups name (wg=remotes) and name (rstation) just to make sure it does
not colide with any other groupg in the internal network (10.60.x.x/24)

vpn ips 10.30.60.x
internal net (samba server is here) 10.60.x.x
cisco l-3 switches are doing the routing between bot nets

> > Result: i can't reach remote
> > Win98 client by name.... i must achieve that in order to make Samba
> > works in our environment if i can't Samba is out :( Help please.
>
> Take a look at the 'max wins ttl' and 'min wins ttl' parameters in the
> smb.conf man page.  I still don't think that's the problem, however.  My
> guess is that the Win98 client isn't trying to re-register.

I did but times in wins.dat remains very long, think i don't even see a
change !!!
wins.dat actual entry

"CANAIMA-II#00" 1074460723 10.60.0.32 64R

and smb.conf has
        max ttl = 180
        max wins ttl = 180
        min wins ttl = 120